Friday, June 09, 2006

The return of James Agee

It's been over 50 years since I've written a review. Over fifty years since I've been alive actually. Back in the days when I wrote reviews for the Nation, I was the best and I had a lot of good stuff to work with. Now, the whiny little bitch DiCaprio screams "King of the World" in "Titanic," and everyone declares it a classic.

Because of this, I asked the almighty for a bit of a reprieve to educate some people about what real classics are (Wellman, Hawks and Ford backed me). He concurred and here I am. Some of these movies that I will talk about here are well known. Some are not, but should be. It's your job to run and go see these the second you finish each review.

I'll try to do a few of these reviews a week. They could be documentaries, foreign movies, or the American types. Most of these movies will be from the teens, '20s, '30s, and '40s...but there are exceptions. The '70s is my second favorite decade for films outside of the '40s. And every once in a while (IN A RARE WHILE) something measures up from today.

If I'm in a really pissed off mood, I'll do a classic bad movie so I can rip it to shreads.

But for the first one, we'll go with a pantheon-level, five star classic - Double Indemnity. This should be a movie IQ test for anyone. Anyone who does not think this movie is amazing is basically not worth your time. Talk about the weather or politics instead.

No comments: